What is it?
Gynecology is a branch of physiology and medicine that deals with the functions and diseases specific to women and girls, especially those affecting the reproductive system that includes, the vagina, uterus, ovaries, and breasts.
Specialists in Gynecology, also known as Gynecologists, help female patients in maintaining the health of their reproductive system, right from puberty and all through their adulthood.
Gynaecology Speciality Areas
The different specialty areas of Gynecology are:
- Female Pelvic Medicine and Reproductive Surgery
This area of specialty deals with:
- Urinary tract disorders occurring in women.
- Pelvic Floor disorders affecting the muscle and connective tissue located below the female pelvis.
- Maternal-Fetal Medicine
This area of specialty deals with the medical conditions related to high-risk pregnancies like:
- Chronic High blood pressure
- Gestational Diabetes
- Blood-Clotting Disorders
- Premature Labor
- Reproductive Endocrinology
This area of specialty handles infertility related issues and some areas of the endocrine system including glands and hormones. This specialty also includes procedures for assisted reproduction like:
- Gynecologic Oncology
This area of specialty deals in diagnosing and treating cancers that affect the female reproductive system, including the uterus, cervix, ovaries, and vulva.
Medical Conditions Handled
Some of the Gynecological Problems and conditions handled by KARE CENTRE’s highly experienced team of gynaecologists are:
- Conditions that relate to pregnancy, fertility, menstruation, and menopause
- Birth Control and Family planning, including contraception, sterilization, and pregnancy termination
- Problems with tissues supporting the pelvic organs, including ligaments and muscles
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- Urinary Incontinence
- Non-cancerous changes that include ovarian cysts, fibroids, breast disorders, vulvar and vaginal ulcers
- Bleeding Disorders
- Congenital abnormalities of the female reproductive tract
- Pelvic pain and Pelvic support problems
- Sexual Dysfunction
Diagnostic Tests and Procedures used
The expert team of KARE CENTRE gynaecologists uses state-of-the-art technology to provide the most effective treatment for our patients.
- Amniocentesis to test the amniotic fluid.
- Breast biopsy where a small piece of breast tissue is tested.
- Cervical biopsy tests cervical tissue for abnormal or precancerous conditions or cervical cancer.
- Cesarean section uses surgery to deliver a baby.
- Colposcopy is used to view the cervix and the vagina.
- Dilation and Curettage or D&C is a surgery to remove abnormal tissues present in the uterus.
- Endometrial ablation removes the endometrium lining the uterus to stop or reduce heavy menstrual bleeding.
- Hysterectomy surgery removes the uterus.
- Mammogram helps in detecting and diagnosing breast diseases in women.
- Pap test collects and examines cervical cells.
- Myomectomy surgery is done to remove fibroids.
- Uterine artery embolization is performed to remove uterine fibroids.
At KARE CENTRE
Our expert panel of gynaecologists uses state-of-the-art technology to provide you with the most efficient and effective treatment. We ensure that the expert care provided by our highly professional team of experts will leave your mind at ease. Our compassion and professionalism are some of the many characteristics that we provide. It is our privilege to care for you.
Authored by Dr. Nirmal Krishnan